^
Contact us Language LOAD

You are here

January 28, 2013

More patent filings than ever in Europe in 2012

EPO has now published the preliminary figures as to number of patent applications received in 2012. The impressive 258,000 filings were an 5.7 % increase over 2011. The number of granted patents amounted to 65,700, which was 5.8 % more than the year before.

The majority of the filings – 63 % - come from non-European countries and the rest – 37 % - come from the EPO (European Patent Office) member states. The top five positions are once again held by the US (24.7 %), Japan (19.9 %), Germany (13.4 %), China (7.3 %) and Korea (5.5 %). Europe is without a doubt an attractive market for non-European companies, especially American and Asian companies.

Considering the size (population) of the countries, Switzerland, number seven on the list of number of EP filings, was actually number 1 (more than 1000 filings per million habitants) and Sweden number two, with half of that (approx 500 per million habitants).

EPO list: Top 50 countries of origin

< 158 / 184 >