Attorney-client privilege for European Patent Attorneys in Denmark
23 May 2018
The Danish Parliament has unanimously passed a bill on witness exclusion for European Patent Attorneys in Denmark. The European Patent Attorney’s advice will therefore now be treated as confidential on equal terms with the advice of a Danish lawyer.
“This is really good news!” says Zacco senior partner and European Patent Attorney Bent Lundsager and continues: “Within the IP business, we have been waiting for this change for a long time. With this change in Danish law, clients can obtain advice from their European patent attorney and they can rely on the European patent attorney being allowed to keep silent on anything that may have come to his/her knowledge as a consequence of the client/patent attorney relation even if the case goes to court.”
The change is especially important for companies active in the US market – or with the intention to enter the US market. US attorneys are ensured witness protection through their client-attorney privilege and are therefore not obliged to submit any written advice from their patent attorney in an US infringement lawsuit. Though, up until now, Danish European Patent Attorneys have not had the same protection and would therefore have to submit their written advice. This inequality will be balanced with the new legislation.
The law will come into force 1st July 2018.Back to all news
- Lone Prehn wins Client Choice Awards 2022 for Trademarks in Denmark15 November 2022
- Zacco supports and partners with Star for Life Ukraine28 October 2022
- Meet Amin and Navid, our newly authorised EPA’s at the Gothenburg office6 October 2022
- Five colleagues announced as MIP Rising Stars 2022!4 October 2022
- Zacco takes home Trademark Prosecution Firm of the Year for Sweden16 September 2022
- Vacation is a time to relax, but don’t let your digital guard down13 July 2022
- UK Government publishes its response to a public consultation on AI and IP5 July 2022
- Zacco ranked as a Top Tier Patent Prosecution firm 20221 July 2022
- 23 practitioners at Zacco ranked in the IAM Patent 1000 for 2022!29 June 2022
- Karin Kärvling Søholt – Director of Strategic Alliances17 June 2022