Attorney-client privilege for European Patent Attorneys in Denmark
23 May 2018
The Danish Parliament has unanimously passed a bill on witness exclusion for European Patent Attorneys in Denmark. The European Patent Attorney’s advice will therefore now be treated as confidential on equal terms with the advice of a Danish lawyer.
“This is really good news!” says Zacco senior partner and European Patent Attorney Bent Lundsager and continues: “Within the IP business, we have been waiting for this change for a long time. With this change in Danish law, clients can obtain advice from their European patent attorney and they can rely on the European patent attorney being allowed to keep silent on anything that may have come to his/her knowledge as a consequence of the client/patent attorney relation even if the case goes to court.”
The change is especially important for companies active in the US market – or with the intention to enter the US market. US patent attorneys are ensured witness protection through their client-attorney privilege and are therefore not obliged to submit any written advice from their patent attorney in an US infringement lawsuit. Though, up until now, Danish European Patent Attorneys have not had the same protection and would therefore have to submit their written advice. This inequality will be balanced with the new legislation.
The law will come into force 1st July 2018.Back to all news
- EPO’s ten day postal rule abolished2 October 2023
- Zacco ranked as a Top Tier Patent Prosecution firm 2023 by Managing IP10 July 2023
- IAM Patent 2023 – Zacco ranked as a top IP firm, alongside 27 colleagues30 June 2023
- Zacco wins Nordic Firm of the Year 2023 at the Managing IP Awards!22 June 2023
- Hybrid IP Portfolio Management – webinar recording available19 June 2023
- IP Stars 2023 – Eighteen Zacco practitioners ranked as IP Stars by Managing IP22 May 2023
- Redemption notice Zacco A/S shares28 April 2023
- Zacco shortlisted in 11 categories at the Managing IP EMEA Awards 2023!28 April 2023
- Lone Prehn announced as one of the Top 250 Women in IP – 202327 April 2023
- ZACCO A/S – Notice of extraordinary general meeting19 April 2023