GDPR dries out WHOIS as a source for domain name enforcement
25 May 2018
Now the day is here and not many EU residents will have missed that the new European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) has come into force.
For domain name registrations and for the enforcement of your Intellectual Property rights, GDPR has far-reaching implications, in particular in connection to many domain name databases “WHOIS” that publish domain name registrant details. WHOIS has always been an important source of information for intellectual property owners, practitioners, authorities and other interested parties. Owner information, name, mailing address and phone numbers of domain name owners have often been easily accessible for anyone.
However, as these entries could contain personal data identifying individual EU residents, ICANN, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, which governs the generic top level domains (i.e. com, .net, .org etc.), could not ensure compliance with the new European regulation. Therefore, only limited information will be visible in these databases until further notice namely: responsible registrar, status of registration and relevant dates such as registration and renewal date.
“It is part of our everyday work to look up domain name owners in order to contact them on behalf of our clients”, says Digital Brands expert and Business Line Director Tobias Harhoff. “With masked or no data from the WHOIS database, it has become more difficult for us e.g. to investigate infringements and/or bad faith domain name registrations. Although ICANN has proceeded to take a very safe position in relation to GDPR, other registries such as “.se” and “.dk” have chosen a more reasonable compliance implementation. Given the need for consumer protection and fraud prevention however, it is not unlikely that future interpretation of compliance with GDPR may again allow for further whois data also for .com.”
Zacco’s Digital Brand team will be following the development closely.
You are welcome to get in touch with Business Line Director Tobias Harhoff or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding the Digital Brand services we offer.Back to all news
- EPO’s ten day postal rule abolished2 October 2023
- Zacco ranked as a Top Tier Patent Prosecution firm 2023 by Managing IP10 July 2023
- IAM Patent 2023 – Zacco ranked as a top IP firm, alongside 27 colleagues30 June 2023
- Zacco wins Nordic Firm of the Year 2023 at the Managing IP Awards!22 June 2023
- Hybrid IP Portfolio Management – webinar recording available19 June 2023
- IP Stars 2023 – Eighteen Zacco practitioners ranked as IP Stars by Managing IP22 May 2023
- Redemption notice Zacco A/S shares28 April 2023
- Zacco shortlisted in 11 categories at the Managing IP EMEA Awards 2023!28 April 2023
- Lone Prehn announced as one of the Top 250 Women in IP – 202327 April 2023
- ZACCO A/S – Notice of extraordinary general meeting19 April 2023