Have you been “vacation–squatted”?
28 August 2018
During vacation time we can see an increase in cyber frauds and especially email frauds. The sending defrauders take advantage of people when they are in a relaxed mode, chilling in the sun with no thoughts at all about work. When you are out of the office, you might not be able to take an extra check with your co-workers when something unusual but allegedly urgent pops up. So instead of looking into it yourself, you transfer it to a co-worker still at the office asking them to help out.
Imagine that the email you are transferring contains an invoice with the subject “Needs to be paid as soon as possible!”. The email appears to be sent from one of your biggest clients. Since you are on vacation, your ordinary “fraud-alert” is not active. The co-worker you forwarded it to assumes that when it is coming from you it must be legit, and therefore pays the invoice.
Does it sound familiar?
Cybersquatting can be done in different ways and above is just an example of a real case that took place in the recent past. Frauds causing damages worth millions of euros have been committed using falsified documents and electronic communication channels. You can’t anticipate everything, but there are some settings that make it possible to protect your company from fraudulent activities. By working proactively and having a cybersquatting strategy, you will become less vulnerable!
Have you been affected or suspect that you might have been, get in touch with Zacco’s cyber security and digital brand consultants immediately.Back to all news
- Five colleagues announced as MIP Rising Stars 2022!4 October 2022
- Zacco takes home Trademark Prosecution Firm of the Year for Sweden16 September 2022
- Vacation is a time to relax, but don’t let your digital guard down13 July 2022
- UK Government publishes its response to a public consultation on AI and IP5 July 2022
- Zacco ranked as a Top Tier Patent Prosecution firm 20221 July 2022
- 23 practitioners at Zacco ranked in the IAM Patent 1000 for 2022!29 June 2022
- Karin Kärvling Søholt – Director of Strategic Alliances17 June 2022
- Financial Times: Zacco recognised as one of Europe’s Leading Patent Law Firms 202217 June 2022
- Zacco awarded Scandinavian Firm of the Year 2022 for Patents by Managing IP16 June 2022
- Camilla Rendal Nielsen ranked as one of the Top 250 Women in IP30 May 2022