IP rights protection in UK to be continued post-Brexit
23 March 2018
As an IP owner you may worry about how Brexit will affect your rights. Now things have been clarified a bit, although some open questions remain.
According to a WIPR report, the draft agreement between the EU and the UK, published on March 19, provides some answers. The parties agreed on a transitional period during which the UK remains part of the EU, stretching from March 29, 2019 until December 31, 2020. Owners of EU trademarks and Community designs will see their rights protected even after the transitional period of Brexit has ended as planned on December 31, 2020. This intention has officially been agreed upon on a “negotiators’ level” only, opening for technical legal adjustments.
Article 50 of the draft agreement deals explicitly with the “continued protection in the UK of registered or granted rights”. Holders of European Union trademarks, Community Designs and Community plant variety rights will hold corresponding rights in the UK. Also unregistered Community designs will be protected in the UK in a similar way (Article 53). At least you can conclude that a cautious parallel filing of these rights in the EU and the UK is not needed. The agreement also outlines the registration procedure and the intention to have it free of charge, but this section is still only a proposal by the EU under ongoing negotiation. Obviously, this would be the most favourable solution for right owners.
Zacco will follow the development and give our interpretation of consequences for right owners. You are welcome to contact your trusted Zacco IP expert if you have any questions.Back to all news
- EPO’s ten day postal rule abolished2 October 2023
- Zacco ranked as a Top Tier Patent Prosecution firm 2023 by Managing IP10 July 2023
- IAM Patent 2023 – Zacco ranked as a top IP firm, alongside 27 colleagues30 June 2023
- Zacco wins Nordic Firm of the Year 2023 at the Managing IP Awards!22 June 2023
- Hybrid IP Portfolio Management – webinar recording available19 June 2023
- IP Stars 2023 – Eighteen Zacco practitioners ranked as IP Stars by Managing IP22 May 2023
- Redemption notice Zacco A/S shares28 April 2023
- Zacco shortlisted in 11 categories at the Managing IP EMEA Awards 2023!28 April 2023
- Lone Prehn announced as one of the Top 250 Women in IP – 202327 April 2023
- ZACCO A/S – Notice of extraordinary general meeting19 April 2023