Vacation is a time to relax, but don’t let your digital guard down
13 July 2022
Vacation periods are usually accompanied by a rise in Fraud or Phishing attempts, what can you or your colleagues do to stay vigilant?
As people begin to take their summer vacations, gearing up for some well-earned rest and relaxation, we expect to see a rise in the number of fraud or phishing attempts.
This is only natural. People are looking forward to holidays, the offices are perhaps a bit less busy and people let their guard down. Similarly, emails might be forwarded to colleagues who are not fully aware of everything going on and therefore less likely to spot an unusual request or email.
This combination offers the perfect opportunity for those with nefarious intentions to slip under the radar and, as with any vacation period, taking an opportunity to rest does not mean you should stop using caution.
What are some of the steps that you or your colleagues can take to stay vigilant, even when you’re relaxing?
- Always check emails for spelling or grammatical mistakes
- Always use a trusted source to verify phone numbers, email or business addresses
- Always double check bank account numbers or payment details if you are in any doubt
- If you are suspicious, try to confirm the sender’s number from another source and give them a call
- If the email is unexpected, use extra caution
Many companies, including Zacco, use Verified Mark Certificates as these demonstrate that the email has come from a secure source and has been verified. Similarly, genuine emails will only ever come from our Zacco.com domain. Both of these are an effective way to confirm the true sender of an email, so if you ever receive an email claiming to be from Zacco without this mark or not from this domain, we encourage you to contact our CISO at CISO@Zacco.com.
Remember, it is always better to double check than to be left to pick up the pieces.
We hope you have a lovely vacation, just remember to stay cautious.Back to all news
- Zacco takes home Trademark Prosecution Firm of the Year for Sweden16 September 2022
- UK Government publishes its response to a public consultation on AI and IP5 July 2022
- Zacco ranked as a Top Tier Patent Prosecution firm 20221 July 2022
- 23 practitioners at Zacco ranked in the IAM Patent 1000 for 2022!29 June 2022
- Karin Kärvling Søholt – Director of Strategic Alliances17 June 2022
- Financial Times: Zacco recognised as one of Europe’s Leading Patent Law Firms 202217 June 2022
- Zacco awarded Scandinavian Firm of the Year 2022 for Patents by Managing IP16 June 2022
- Camilla Rendal Nielsen ranked as one of the Top 250 Women in IP30 May 2022
- 15 Zacco Attorneys ranked as IP Stars for 20223 May 2022
- Zacco shortlisted for 10 awards in the Managing IP EMEA Awards 202228 April 2022