What should you consider when securing Design rights within Russia?
19 October 2021
In her latest post at Kluwer Trademark Blog, our Senior Attorney Louise Thorning Ahle discusses the practical and financial implications of registering a design in Russia.
Currently the Russian PTO denies applicants the right to defend or file responses to refusals for those who have applied through the Hague International Design System and such refusals are considered final, rather than provisional. This is in contrast to those who have applied for national design applications as Rospatent offers such applicants a three month response to a provisional refusal (extendable to 10 months under certain circumstances).
There is an argument that this approach contravenes Article 12(3)(b) of Geneva Act 1999, which stipulates that international design applicants should be treated equally in being allowed to defend their registrations against provisional refusals and the consequences of such a difference in approach are still up for debate. Given that disputing a final refusal could lead to additional costs, but for now it makes sense to investigate the practical and financial implications of each approach before attempting to secure such rights within Russia.
You can find the full blog post here.
Back to all news
- EPO’s ten day postal rule abolished2 October 2023
- Zacco ranked as a Top Tier Patent Prosecution firm 2023 by Managing IP10 July 2023
- IAM Patent 2023 – Zacco ranked as a top IP firm, alongside 27 colleagues30 June 2023
- Zacco wins Nordic Firm of the Year 2023 at the Managing IP Awards!22 June 2023
- Hybrid IP Portfolio Management – webinar recording available19 June 2023
- IP Stars 2023 – Eighteen Zacco practitioners ranked as IP Stars by Managing IP22 May 2023
- Redemption notice Zacco A/S shares28 April 2023
- Zacco shortlisted in 11 categories at the Managing IP EMEA Awards 2023!28 April 2023
- Lone Prehn announced as one of the Top 250 Women in IP – 202327 April 2023
- ZACCO A/S – Notice of extraordinary general meeting19 April 2023