What should you consider when securing Design rights within Russia?
19 October 2021
In her latest post at Kluwer Trademark Blog, our Senior Attorney Louise Thorning Ahle discusses the practical and financial implications of registering a design in Russia.
Currently the Russian PTO denies applicants the right to defend or file responses to refusals for those who have applied through the Hague International Design System and such refusals are considered final, rather than provisional. This is in contrast to those who have applied for national design applications as Rospatent offers such applicants a three month response to a provisional refusal (extendable to 10 months under certain circumstances).
There is an argument that this approach contravenes Article 12(3)(b) of Geneva Act 1999, which stipulates that international design applicants should be treated equally in being allowed to defend their registrations against provisional refusals and the consequences of such a difference in approach are still up for debate. Given that disputing a final refusal could lead to additional costs, but for now it makes sense to investigate the practical and financial implications of each approach before attempting to secure such rights within Russia.
You can find the full blog post here.
Back to all news
- EU Trademark applications drop to lowest rate since 201922 March 2023
- New Associate Patent Attorney x 2: Welcome, Markus Engstrand and Tobias Viskers6 March 2023
- The Unified Patent Court and Unitary Patent system officially starts 1st June 2023!17 February 2023
- MetaBirkin Result provides early case law in growing area of NFT infringements15 February 2023
- WTR 1000 2023 ranks Zacco and 19 colleagues7 February 2023
- Zacco welcomes two Digital Brand experts to the team: Alexander Karlsson and Renaud Permezel26 January 2023
- Copyright chaos creates Christmas classic22 December 2022
- Season’s Greetings 202216 December 2022
- Lone Prehn wins Client Choice Awards 2022 for Trademarks in Denmark15 November 2022
- Zacco supports and partners with Star for Life Ukraine28 October 2022