The Unified Patent Court and Unitary Patent system officially starts 1st June 2023!
17 February 2023
Germany has today deposited their instruments of ratification of the UPC, marking the completion of the ratification procedures by participating EU member states. This starts the countdown, as set under Article 89, to the official launch of the new Unified Patent Court (UPC) and the Unitary Patent (UP) system.
Following years of speculation, planning, discussion and development, the UPC/UP system is finally here. Following German ratification, the court has been confirmed and will enter force on the 1st day of the fourth month after ratification, meaning that it will officially begin on 1st June 2023.
The ‘sunrise’ period of three months will begin on 1st March 2023, during which applicants can file an early request for ‘unitary’ effect, defer grants of EP applications and opt-out EP patents from the UP/UPC system.
While the date is now confirmed, and the sunrise period will soon start there are still many questions and many organisations have yet to make a final decision on if they should ‘opt-out’ parts of their EP patent portfolio from the jurisdiction of the UPC or not .
Zacco has previously established a UP/UPC expert team who have kept up to date on all the changes as they have been announced. They are positioned to handle all related queries so if you still have questions on the impact that the new UP/UPC system may have on your patent rights, or want to explore which of your rights might need to be ‘opted-out’, we strongly encourage you to reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org for a more thorough discussion based on your specific needs.
The future of patent rights in Europe is changing, for more information visit our UPC page at:
You can find the official announcement on the EPO page here:
- EPO’s ten day postal rule abolished2 October 2023
- Zacco ranked as a Top Tier Patent Prosecution firm 2023 by Managing IP10 July 2023
- IAM Patent 2023 – Zacco ranked as a top IP firm, alongside 27 colleagues30 June 2023
- Zacco wins Nordic Firm of the Year 2023 at the Managing IP Awards!22 June 2023
- Hybrid IP Portfolio Management – webinar recording available19 June 2023
- IP Stars 2023 – Eighteen Zacco practitioners ranked as IP Stars by Managing IP22 May 2023
- Redemption notice Zacco A/S shares28 April 2023
- Zacco shortlisted in 11 categories at the Managing IP EMEA Awards 2023!28 April 2023
- Lone Prehn announced as one of the Top 250 Women in IP – 202327 April 2023
- ZACCO A/S – Notice of extraordinary general meeting19 April 2023